The horse mane carving has gone well, although I did find it challenging to work in wood where little bits just randomly spring off and fall out under the v-gouge. This happens when certain strips of wood in the parallam beam did not receive enough glue. It’s not really a problem. It means I adjust the carving slightly. I finished the mane tonight. At this point I will set the carving as it will stand and make sure the entire sculpture looks right. I’ll probably stare at it, turn it around and around, nip off bits here and there. I’ll sand it and sand it some more until I’m finally satisfied. Only then will I put the finishing coats on.
This is the point where I get excited.